Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Feliz Cumpleanos A Mi

One of the few phrases I remember in Spanish :) Today was my 19th birthday, though I must say I don't feel any different! Started out the day with Tia buzzing me around 9 o'clock in typical Aussie fashion (she had already gone out and been fed by my mom, but snuck upstairs to do a sneak attack). She probably would have settled down and gone back to sleep, but I had been thinking I should get up. Yesterday one of our sinks developed a leak, so I ended up being woken up to do morning barn chores. As I am not much of a morning person, I did the chores in my pajamas (penguins!) and then Tia and I went back to bed for several more hours. Tia is the only one of my dogs that understands and appreciates this - Flash is ready to roll at 6 am sharp and the Q thinks frisbee at 3 in the morning is a wonderful idea.

Anyway, since I was up, Mom and I went out for breakfast and then on a couple errands, namely to buy grain for the horses. Then in the afternoon I joined several of my best friends from high school, a troupe of Advanced Placement and Honors kids affectionately known as the Fringe because the table we sat at during lunch was in a corner off by itself beyond the garbage cans. We had some good times at that table. There were only a few of us there, but Megan and Amy had made me a birthday cake and we watched the tail end of Prince Caspian and then Up in its entirety. Up is very cute, and I love Dug - there is one point where he is kind of apologizing to Carl and his posture is exactly like Queezle in that situation - head low, ears back, eyes soft, tail wagging low and slow.

My mom hadn't seen Up so I borrowed it from Megan afterward and brought it home. Mom, my brother Tom and I went out for Chinese. I got a pathetic fortune: You can't choose how you will die, but you can choose how you will live. Naturally, that sparked a discussion of the ways in which you can control how you die. Not exactly normal dinner conversation, but then again, my family isn't exactly normal. I do have a father by the way, and even saw him yesterday after doing the barn (he was somewhat amazed that I actually went to the barn in my pajamas). He is a nephrologist (kidney doctor) and works crazy hours - hence the fact that I have seen him for a grand total of 2 minutes in the 6 days I've been home. Luckily he loves his job, or else it would probably get ugly.

After dinner, we broke into the creme de menthe cake that my mom had made for me. I love that cake, and the dogs are all sure that they would too! Then we settled in to watch Up. Flash was unimpressed, Tia wants a giant bird of her own and Baloo, Tom's Aussie, barked at and attacked the screen every time the dogs came on. Life is never dull.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I think a totally "normal" family would be boring!
    Your Mom

    ReplyDelete